My summer months typically consist of two to three mission trips. I really believe these trips are effective and important, and here are just a few reasons why.
1. To Expand Your Heart. Jesus saw the crowds and had compassion on them. Notice the prerequisite to compassion is vision. It’s hard to love an abstract idea or cause. We need faces. Faces and stories compel us. Short term mission trips expand our hearts by showing us real people with real needs.
2. To Discern Your Giftedness. Mission trips allow us to serve in a wide variety of ways. These opportunities act like little experiments where we can try and fail and try and succeed and find our unique gift set.
3. To Speak the Gospel. At the most basic level, mission trips help fulfill the Great Commission. That they are shorter does not matter. The gospel still goes out.
4. To Discern Your Calling. This may be surprising but people often discover a lifelong calling on mission trips. Either missions in general or some aspect of the trip will capture their heart. They return home with a new direction or purpose.
5. To Spread the Kingdom. Mission trips are often located in destitute areas and geared around service projects. These ministry sites become outposts of the kingdom as we display the good news we preach.
Of course, there are more reasons. But bottom line, I would encourage you to go on a mission trip.
What other reason would you list for going on a mission trip? What has been your favorite trip? Why?